Wednesday, November 11, 2009

LOOKING BACK TO LOOK AHEAD - 11/11/2009 –

As I started this restaurant blog, I glanced up from my writing desk and saw the high school graduation picture of my mom with her father. She was pretty with the short, tight curls that marked the end of World War II. Looking back at her life, I saw a derailed determinism in her eyes and nuanced smile. Her father, a judge in rimless eyeglasses, was handsomely austere. It goes without saying; both were thin.

My mom, forty years before the fashion, became obese in 1957, following a twice daily routine of Ovaltine and whole milk to an early diabetic grave. Grandpa, in the tradition of his time, ruined his lungs with Camel cigarettes and died at age 62.

I would like to dedicate this blog to them and what I learned from watching their addictions morph, almost imperceptibly, from pleasurable routines to severe disabilities and early deaths.

May we profit from their legacy as we seek wiser decisions.

Expressly yours,

carl myers


1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your blog. Can you scan and post the picture of your Mom and Grandpa?

    ReplyDelete